Whew, what a busy day in the "studio"! However, I've said it before and I'll say it again: ART-busy is the best kind of busy! Here's what I've been doing.
First, I finished a little (5.5 X 6.5 X 2.5") assemblage, using the manipulated vintage photo I posted last night. I still haven't come up with a name yet, but here are some pics of the as-of-yet untitled piece:
After finishing the above assemblage, I completed a couple more steps in my quest to make a mold of a bird's skull. As you'll recall from a previous post, for step 1 I filled in all the cracks and crevices in the skull. A few days ago I did step 2 (a minor step, so I didn't post any pics at that time), which was to sand any modeling paste that didn't meet my standards and seal the entire skull.
Today, though, was step 3, where the rubber met the road--or, actually, where the rubber met the skull.
First, I stuck a small mound of modeling clay on a piece of plexiglass; it's the gray stuff inside the red cup to the left. After that I push the skull into the clay slightly; the back of skull into the clay, with the beak pointing upward. Next, I placed a plastic, 9-ounce cup (bottom of the cup cut off) over/around the clay mound. After that, to ensure that the cup stays in place and no rubber leaks under it, I mushed a rope of modeling clay (the brown stuff) around the cup and to the plexiglass. This, friends, is the simple "mold box."
The next step is mixing and pouring the molding material, which as you can see in the pic to the right, comes in two parts: the liquid silicone and a catalyst. Surprisingly I was able to pull this step off without a lot of mess--nearly a miracle for me.
The last step today was to simply pour the mixture into the mold and over the bird's skull. The pic to the left shows today's finished product. Now it has to set-up, which according to the instructions, takes about 18 hours. So check back tomorrow for the big reveal--I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well...
The (sometimes mad) ramblings of a mixed media artist.