Finally--it feels like I've been working on these for 6 months or more--I've finished painting all eight boxes/bases, which will eventually house little assemblages contained in Altoids tins (nichos). Numbers 5, 6, and 7 are totally complete.
Number 8 (below) still needs some kind of framework around the opening; my original plan for this was a bust, so it's back to the drawing board. Nonetheless, I'm pleased with the textures and colors on all the boxes/bases in this batch.
Part 5, the last step--creating the mini-assemblages--should be a blast. Check back to view my completed nichos.
I've completed two more nicho "boxes," bringing my total completed to four. Four more remain--and then it will be time to create mini-assemblages within the Altoids tins (the niches) and insert them into the boxes. My personal assessment of the project thus far? On a scale of 1 (barely good enough for fireplace fodder) to 10 (the greatest thing since sliced bread), I'm giving it a 6.5. So far I'm digging the textures I've created, but I'm not liking my color choices...live and learn.
Over the last few days I've managed to complete part 3 (texturing) of my nichos project. Primarily I used plaster and/or gesso for this part. Below are some pictures of three textured nichos bases. The last picture shows how one of my jailhouse tins (mentioned in a previous blog) will eventually--after painting the base, of course--be placed.
On a few nichos bases I've managed to lay down the paint and ink--what I'm calling part 4. The below sample isn't quite completed--I'm thinking of adding a layer orange (or some other contrasting color) ink--but it's a good example of what can be done with plaster, paint, and ink. The next picture shows the same nicho base with my other piece of jailhouse tin.
Finally, check out the two completed nicho bases shown below. I used corrugated cardboard on the one on the left, and for the one on the right I used cheesecloth embedded in plaster.
The (sometimes mad) ramblings of a mixed media artist.