A year or two ago a co-worker gave me a mantel clock that quit working; she figured I could use the clock's housing for one of my assemblages. It's a really neat structure, all wooden with a round compartment on top where the clock and its works were housed, and a cool stand that once elevated the clock so that the pendulum could swing freely below the clock. Recently I've had this desire to integrate some kinetic elements into my art; in other words, movement--and, in my mind, the best way to employ this is to design something where the viewer can initiate the movement. I figured this old clock housing would be the perfect set up for my first experimentation with quasi-kinetic art. So here's my idea, take a vintage photo of a kindly-looking older woman, some animal jaw bones, and create an homage to the "tooth fairy." Now, if you know me (and if you don't, consider yourself lucky), you know my version of the tooth fairy isn't going to be all sparkly and pretty--no way! My plan for the kinetic component is to have the fairy's wings hidden behind her; below (using the opening where the pendulum hung) I'll include a string that a viewer can pull, which will (hopefully) spread the fairy's wings (release the string and--again, if all goes according to plan--the wings will return to their original position, hidden behind the old woman). Below are photos of the vintage photo I'm going to use and some animal jawbones I'd like to use as the structure for the fairy's wings.
Normally when I create an assemblage, if it's covered, it's generally done so in glass. However, on this latest piece I decided to design it so that the viewer (AKA: the art buyer...hopefully) would have to open the box in order to see, so to speak, what there is to see. The interior of this piece is centered around 24 mini collages (duo duodenas is Latin for two dozen--or at least that's what the translator website told me) arranged in a grid pattern. In my perusal of various art-related websites I've been drawn lately to grid-centered design, so this is my take. The substrate is an old 10 X 8 X 2" wooden cigar box. The original box was a 1-lidder; I split the lid in two for my work. The piece is meant to hang on the wall, but I suppose it could just as easily be displayed on a horizontal surface.
The (sometimes mad) ramblings of a mixed media artist.