Recently I put the finishing touches on a free-standing assemblage I've titled Icon. I constructed the base (below) using, among other things, an antique millwork rosette and some pieces from an old picture frame. Notice the openings, which I designed to hold little boxes that, as you'll see later in this post, serve as storage for Moai-inspired heads.
Below are the four heads--still in their rough stage at this point--which I sculpted from Apoxie Clay, a two-part product that after a few hours dries to a rock hard state.
Here are some shots of the finished piece, which if you're interested, is available for purchase in my store. Some of the found objects include a garden trowel, a vintage drawer pull, and a film reel.
Several years ago while digging through my mom's garage, I found an old wooden artist's box (18" x 14"). It was probably from, I'm guessing, the 1960s and held paints, brushes, charcoal, and other art supplies, most of which were trashed. The box, however, caught my eye as a possible container for an assemblage. I used the lid last year to hold an assemblage I made for some friends out in Ohio. The other half, the container portion with dividers, got buried in my studio--until, that is, I found it earlier this week. Here's what I did with it. Found objects, poster paper, and pieces from cigar boxes.
The old-style images from the cigar boxes, coupled with bits of text from an circus poster, made me think of those men and women who (pre-digital age) made a living hand painting signs. (Sounds like a gig I could've gotten into.) I finished the theme with a well-used brush and a couple of calligraphy pens (upper left).
Below are a few detail pictures.
I just wrapped up this one (entitled "Test Tube Tot") a few hours ago. Earlier this week I was playing around in my workspace with an idea. I'd been gifted a whole box of test tubes and I wanted to put some of them to use. That said, I took a reproduction of a vintage photo, cut it into strips, and inserted the strips into a dozen test tubes. The effect was intriguing, so I decided to make it the focal point of a piece--and here it is. Dimensions: 12"h x 9"w x 4" d.
I completed this one (entitled "Free Range") a couple of days ago. It's a simple assemblage--featuring a collaged background and mono-print of a feather--in a plain, 10" x 5" x 3" wooden box. It also includes a resin bird skull and some wooden piano parts.
Here's an assemblage I just completed today. The body of the piece is a rosette (I think that's what they're called) from the trim in an old house. It's accompanied by found objects, including a raccoon skull. The lower portion features a test tube that contains a quote from R.W. Emerson's poem "Compensation." Approximate dimensions = 15"h x 9"w x 3"d.
I put the finishing touches on this piece yesterday. It's a free-standing (about 10" tall) assemblage called LOOK INTO YOUR HEART. I constructed it with found objects and pieces of road map--but it features a heart that I cast with a product called Apoxie Clay. The heart contains a lens, which the viewer can peer into. At this point I've attached a piece of map behind the lens; however, any image--a photo of a loved one, for example--could be used, provided it's small enough.
I completed this little (in a 6.5 x 4.5 x 2.5" wooden box) assemblage about a week ago. It's called FEEDING TIME, and it features found objects, a vintage photo, a resin bird skull, a vintage bird illustration, and a baby image from an old book.
Finished this little (4.5" x 9" x 1.5") assemblage today. It's called "Secure the Border," and it features a vintage photo, found objects, and vintage paper/images from an old seed catalog.
Some old wheels, a rosette from a door or window frame, a neck from a desk lamp, part of a small kitchen strainer, and a resin starling skull = a new assemblage. I'm calling it (tongue-in-cheek) "Progress."
Here's a small (approx. 9" x 5.5" x 3.5") assemblage I just finished up today. I've entitled it "Tug"--kind of a play on the phrase tug at the heartstrings. Believe it or not, in its former life, the box that contains the heart was a soap dish. It was chrome, and the bubble window that's evident in a couple of the shots below is the actual dish that held the soap; I just reversed it. Other than that the piece just features some found objects--a old dresser handle, some pieces of picture frame, and a handle (the clenched fist) from a hair pick--and a heart made from paper-clay that's been covered in a piece of 1970s-era Iowa road map.
In the first pic below, the plastic window's been removed to give you a better idea of what's contained in the box.
In the shots above and below, you can get an idea of how the plastic concave soap dish has been reversed to form a bubble window. I kind of like the effect--even though (I apologize) it's tough to see with the glare.
By the way, starting Monday, August 11, I'll be back to work, so this may very well be my last post for awhile. Try as I might, I'm usually too frazzled and brain-dead during the school year to get much art done--even though many times my art would be the perfect burnout-remedy. Anyway, for the handful of you out there who frequent my blog--thank you and keep checking in. I'll try my best to post periodically.
The (sometimes mad) ramblings of a mixed media artist.