A week ago I posted a picture of a little bird's skull I had acquired. (By the way, an update: thanks to Rebecca Christoffel at Iowa State University, the skull has been identified as a starling's skull.) My plan is to make a mold of the skull so that I can make many castings of it to use in future art projects. Since I've never made a mold of something like this before, this is definitely experimental in nature. That said, I've decided to document the process here on my blog.
So here it goes, step 1. For my first step I figured (again, I've never done this before, so this is a big 'ol fat experiment) I would fill all of the skull's nooks and crannies. The way I understand mold-making it's better not to have too many cavities for the molding material to get hung-up in; a good mold will release fairly easily from its subject. Therefore, I've filled all of the holes and deep recesses (and, believe me, there are quite a few--even on this tiny critter) with modeling paste. I used the pastry syringe to inject the modeling paste into the extra-tight spaces, and I used my skinny palette knife to smooth out and shape some of the paste.
There you go, step 1 is complete. Check back periodically on my progress.
The (sometimes mad) ramblings of a mixed media artist.