Here it is, over 18 hours since I poured the silicone mold. It set-up nicely, so this morning I pulled the bird's skull out and--voila!--molding success! I guess, though, I can't officially call it a success until I've made my first casting of Tweety's head. Here's a few pics of today's process...
1. Peeling away the clay rope, which held the plastic cup to the plexiglass base.
2. Popping the cup off the plex.
3. I pulled out the dome of clay that held the skull in place within the cup. You can see the bottom of the skull (there's a piece of stick--which I glued into the skull to serve as a "handle"--poking up) in the middle of the silicone.
4. I cut the cup and pulled out the cup-shaped silicone mold.
5. After a bit of wiggling--via the "handle"--the skull back and forth to free the eye sockets from the silicone, it emerged from the mold. Whoo-hoo!
The (sometimes mad) ramblings of a mixed media artist.